In addition to neighborhood team activities, there are many different ways to connect with our neighbors and build a stronger community. If you participate in one of these programs, please share your experiences.
- Austin Humane Society needs people to socialize cats and dogs to prepare them for adoption.
- Soccer youth coaches, contact Tiera Johnson Tiera.Johnson@austinymca.org or 512-973-9622 at the North Austin Community Center (YMCA). Training provided.
- Meals on Wheels uses volunteers to deliver meals and other services to homebound neighbors from their site at 601 W. Braker.
- Austin Partners in Education (APIE) has volunteer openings at Barrington and Walnut Creek Elementaries, as well as our middle and high schools. Assist in a classroom, help chaperone a field trip, or have lunch with a student once a week. Training and support provided.
- Volunteer voter registrar. Training the 1st Tuesday of each month, with 1-hour sessions at either 10:30 am, 12:30 pm or 6:30 pm at the Travis County Voter Registrar’s office, 5501 Airport Blvd
Neighborhood Plan Objectives:
Recommendation 19 Access various resources that support property maintenance.
Objective Q.10: Acknowledge the cultural diversity of North Lamar/Georgian Acres.
Recommendation 24 Consider the continuation or expansion of … language-based adult educational classes.
Recommendation 27 Explore additional opportunities for recreation.
Objective Q.14: Improve the availability of healthy and nutritional food options.