2. 105 W Braker neighborhood plan amendment and zoning change applications from LR (Neighborhood Commercial) to GR (Commercial) for auto repair
The property owners’ agent described their existing business and alternate financially-viable uses for the property under current zoning (gas station). He also briefly discussed commercial design standards for the Braker frontage.
Walnut Creek residents presented their concerns about reduction in property values from an auto repair business across the street from their SF-1 homes, noise, and solvent-related air quality problems.
LisaH described the contact team’s outreach and discussion (in addition to city notices) including the contact team website and email list, personal mailings to nearby residents and property owners, conversations with Walnut Creek NA president, and discussion at the Jan and Apr 2013 regular contact team meetings.
Contact team issues include:
– respect for the existing neighborhood plan, since there have been no changes in the immediate area
– respect for neighboring neighborhoods, outside the planning area
– concern over increasing concentration of auto-related businesses rather than development of a diverse commercial sector
– business development alternatives for the property’s new owners
The contact team voted unanimously to support the existing neighborhood plan, with no changes. LisaH will prepare a letter for the Planning Commission, and arrange attendance at their hearing if needed.
LisaH will provide information on the City’s Family Business Loan Program to Mr Witliff for his clients.
Objective L.9 Create a node of commercial activity in the far northeastern corner of the planning area.